KEY POINTS FROM DAN MURPHY, D.C.
1) This is the longest study to date on the malignant brain tumor risk from using wireless phones, both cell phones and cordless home phones.
2) This is not the first epidemiological study to find a significant association between the use of cellular telephones and brain tumors.
3) The risk of malignant brain tumors (primarily high-grade astrocytomas) increases with the longer the use of wireless phones.
4) The risk for all malignant brain tumors increased rather dramatically for those who used combinations of a cell phone and a walk-around cordless phone.
5) Analog cell phone use for more than 15 years increased the risk of malignant brain tumor to 510% with a range between 150% to 1,400%.
6) The incidence of malignant brain tumors found in this study is low because those that died of malignant brain tumors were not counted. They were only counted if they were still living.
7) For a variety of reasons, the microwave radiation dose was higher for cordless home phone users than for digital cellular phone users, making these devices even more dangerous.
• Do you use a cell phone?
• For how many years have you been using a cell phone?
• Do you use a headset (or other attenuating device) with your cell phone?
• Do you use a walk-around-the-house cordless phone?
• For how many years have you been using a walk-around-the-house cordless phone?
• Are you currently using both a cell phone and a walk-around-the-house cordless phone?
Case-control study of the association between the use of cellular and cordless telephones and malignant brain tumors diagnosed during 2000–2003
Volume 100, Issue 2, February 2006, Pages 232-241
by Lennart Hardell, Michael Carlberg and Kjell Hansson Mild
A 1978 graduate of Western States Chiropractic College, Dr. Dan Murphy is on the faculty of Life Chiropractic College West, and is the Vice President of the International Chiropractic Association. For more information, visit www.danmurphydc.com.