Afton, VA – The Unified Virginia Chiropractic Association (Unified VCA) met for its annual meeting and Fall Convention September 25-27 at the Kingsmill Resort & Spa, Williamsburg, Virginia.
A record-breaking 167 Doctors of Chiropractic and 60 Chiropractic Assistants registered for the meeting, along with 35 supporting supplier companies. The program featured top-notch educational presentations, dynamic speakers, organizational business, political and legislative updates, networking opportunities, increased camaraderie and lots of fun.
The DC and staff programs blended practical and inspirational sessions covering the art, science and philosophy of Chiropractic.
- Timely, compelling sessions for Doctors covered extremity adjusting, ICD-10, functional movement, concussions, research, stroke, patient education, practice management tools for both insurance and cash based practices, neurology, and NSAIDs.
- Well known instructors included Drs. Dan Murphy, Mark Charrette, Dean DePice, Stephen Thaxton, Miles Bodzin and Jay Greenstein, along with Mr. Gray Cook and Ms. Jena Slaski. Mr. Cook’s session also drew a number of fitness trainers and physical therapists affiliated with Unified VCA member DCs.
- CAs benefitted from comprehensive training by Dr. Louis Crivelli, Dr. Dean DePice, Ms. Becky Walter, and Ms. Erin Dickerson, in addition to joint DC/CA sessions taught by some of the instructors listed previously.
- For a complete list of topics and speakers, visit www.virginiachiropractic.org and click on the Education tab, then Archives.
The Association’s ability to bring this high level of expertise and excitement to Virginia Chiropractors at affordable rates was made possible by generous sponsorships from the following organizations:
- CARE Medical Billing
- Cash Practice
- Chirocenters Management Corp
- Erchonia Corp.
- Foot Levelers
- Functional Movement Systems
- KMC University
- Life University
- NutriWest MidAtlantic
- POWERplay in Sports
- Sleep Essentials
- Star Imaging
During Saturday’s General Membership Meeting, members elected the following Officers:
- Dr. David Dolberg, President
- Dr. Will Sonak, Vice President
- Dr. Christopher Perron, Treasurer
- Dr. Michelle Rose, Secretary
New President Dr. Dolberg (left) commented, “At a time when many associations struggle to maintain membership, it is a great honor to take the reins of a growing association so dedicated to the support of its members and the strengthening of the profession.”
Dr. Randy Michaux was appointed to fill in for Dr. Sonak as Director of District II North & South until the Spring 2016 elections. Dr. Perron will continue as Director of District II East for the time being, in addition to his new role as Treasurer. Outgoing board member Dr. Bibhu Misra was recognized. The meeting also featured updates from the Unified VCA committees, treasurer, Virginia C-PAC, strategic plan project heads, and others – and Dr. Art Wilding became the association’s 700th member.
Educational programs were complemented by opportunities for attendees to relax and socialize. Friday evening’s Welcome Reception in the Exhibit Area featured fine food, drink, and live music. A private President’s Reception on Saturday evening honored Unified VCA Premier DC members, UVCA and Virginia C-PAC current and past board members, 2015 C-PAC contributors, speakers, committee chairs and convention sponsors. Saturday’s awards dinner featured the annual prize and 50/50 raffle to benefit the Unified VCA’s Legal/Legislative Fund, produced by Ms. Susette Goodwin. In addition, Dr. David Dolberg (Producer) and Dr. Gary Dennis (MC) presented the first-ever UVCA Talent Show.
The following awards were presented on Saturday evening:
- The John Stoke Journalism Award — Daniel Shaye, DC, CCSP, FIAMA, ACRB Registered Level 1, Williamsburg, Virginia, for his health article series in The Health Journal, providing local health news coverage in the Hampton Roads area.
- District Director of the Year – Lee Matthis, DC, Christiansburg, for his efforts to increase the sense of community in southwest Virginia with area programs; his work with the Public Relations Committee to build the Unified VCA’s social media efforts; and his regular challenges to his fellow board members to keep creativity and action going.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards – Bill Thesier, DC, Virginia Beach, Virginia, for many years of hard work on behalf of Chiropractic in Virginia. Dr. Thesier is a Life University graduate and has practiced in Virginia Beach since 1981. A past VCA President and District Director, he has been chair of VCA’s, then co-chair of UVCA’s, Legislative Committee for nearly two decades. He was named the 1999 VCA Chiropractor of the Year and over the years has developed a legislative action guide for DCs; spearheaded visits to the state capital, legislative initiatives, and grassroots advocacy; worked with legal and legislative counsel to develop association strategy and member tools; and helped with the Virginia C-PAC. He also served on the VCA/VSC Unification Committee that ultimately led to the coming together of those two state organizations in 2009.
- 2015 Chiropractor of the Year – Thomas J. Wetzen, DC, CCSP, Vienna, Virginia. A Life University graduate, Dr. Wetzen has been licensed in Virginia since 1997. He is President and Owner of Family & Sports Chiropractic, with offices in Falls Church and Sterling. He was the 2009 recipient of the Virginia Society of Chiropractic’s Chiropractor of the Year and served as President of that organization. After the VCA and VSC unified, Dr. Wetzen became the first openly elected President of the newly joined group. He was also instrumental in the development of the East Coast Associations’ Independent Providers’ Network.