:quoteleft_open:Some cases of scoliosis respond well to standard chiropractic treatment and some do not.:quoteleft_close:
What are the options?
- Do a scoliosis screening on all your patients. Scoliosis accelerates at 11.7 years of age.7 The Adams test is ineffective8 because once the rib hump is present, the scoliosis is above 30 degrees. Use a Scoliometer and check posture, stance, and gait.
- If there is a scoliosis, do not adjust the “high side of the rainbow.” Do not perform posterior to anterior thoracic adjusting.9
- Monitor the scoliosis. Perform the Scoliometer test on every visit. Re-exams and x-rays should be done every three months.
- ScoliScore is a saliva based genetic marker test that will predict within a 99% certainty if an existing scoliosis will progress.10 It is applicable to a scoliosis from 10 to 25 degrees and for a child 9 to 13 years old.
- Communicate with the orthopedic physician about the case and your treatment plan and goals.
- Consider referring the patient to a CLEAR certified scoliosis doctor. This doctor will evaluate the patient and establish a treatment plan to reduce and stabilize the scoliosis. The CLEAR doctor will then work with the referring doctor to co-manage the patient.
Doctors of Chiropractic should be the spinal experts. Instead of referring the patient to an orthopedic doctor for bracing or surgery, consider an inter-professional referral to a CLEAR scoliosis doctor.
Chiropractic first, drugs second, surgery last!
- The etiology of Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis Am J Orthop 2002 Jul;31 (7) :387-95 Ahn et al, New Hampshire Spine Institute
- “Scoliosis screening of 3,000 college-aged women. The Utah Study – Phase 2”, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, Francis RS. Phys Ther 1988 Oct;68(10):
- Chiropractic Technique: 1920, BJ Palmer
- Adult scoliosis: prevalence, SF-36, and nutritional parameters in an elderly volunteer population. Schwab F et al. Department of Orthopedic Surgery, Spine Service, Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY, USA. [email protected] worldnet.att.net Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2005 May 1;30(9):1082-5
- Ref: Christensen MG, Kerkhoff D, Kollasch MW: Job analysis of chiropractic 2000. Greeley, Colorado: National Board of Chiropractic Examiners; 2000
- Effect of Chiropractic intervention on small scoliotic curves in younger subjects: A time-series cohort design. JMPT 2001 Jul-Aug;(6):385-93, Lantz CA, Chen J.
- Maturity Assessment & Curve Progression in Girls With IS J. Sanders et al, Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, 2007
- J Pediatr Orthop. 1995 Jul-Aug;15(4):535-8.
- Posterior to Anterior Thoracic Spinal Adjusting in the Scoliosis Patient Is Contraindicated By Spinal Biomechanics Dr. Dennis Woggon, BSc, DC, CLEAR Institute, http://clear-institute.com/docs/PosteriorAnteriorThoracicAdjusting.pdf
- “Prediction of scoliotic cobb angle with the use of the Scoliometer” Spine, 1996 Jul 15;21(14):1661-6
Dr. Dennis Woggon is the Founder and Director of the CLEAR Scoliosis Institute. You can find additional information at www.CLEAR-Institute.org. Dr. Woggon can be contacted at [email protected]