- Timely, compelling sessions for Doctors covered extremity adjusting, ICD-10, functional movement, concussions, research, stroke, patient education, practice management tools for both insurance and cash based practices, neurology, and NSAIDs.
- Well known instructors included Drs. Dan Murphy, Mark Charrette, Dean DePice, Stephen Thaxton, Miles Bodzin and Jay Greenstein, along with Mr. Gray Cook and Ms. Jena Slaski. Mr. Cook’s session also drew a number of fitness trainers and physical therapists affiliated with Unified VCA member DCs.
- CAs benefitted from comprehensive training by Dr. Louis Crivelli, Dr. Dean DePice, Ms. Becky Walter, and Ms. Erin Dickerson, in addition to joint DC/CA sessions taught by some of the instructors listed previously.
- For a complete list of topics and speakers, visit www.virginiachiropractic.org and click on the Education tab, then Archives.
- CARE Medical Billing
- Cash Practice
- Chirocenters Management Corp
- Erchonia Corp.
- Foot Levelers
- Functional Movement Systems
- KMC University
- Life University
- NutriWest MidAtlantic
- POWERplay in Sports
- Sleep Essentials
- Star Imaging
- Dr. David Dolberg, President
- Dr. Will Sonak, Vice President
- Dr. Christopher Perron, Treasurer
- Dr. Michelle Rose, Secretary
- The John Stoke Journalism Award — Daniel Shaye, DC, CCSP, FIAMA, ACRB Registered Level 1, Williamsburg, Virginia, for his health article series in The Health Journal, providing local health news coverage in the Hampton Roads area.
- District Director of the Year – Lee Matthis, DC, Christiansburg, for his efforts to increase the sense of community in southwest Virginia with area programs; his work with the Public Relations Committee to build the Unified VCA’s social media efforts; and his regular challenges to his fellow board members to keep creativity and action going.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards – Bill Thesier, DC, Virginia Beach, Virginia, for many years of hard work on behalf of Chiropractic in Virginia. Dr. Thesier is a Life University graduate and has practiced in Virginia Beach since 1981. A past VCA President and District Director, he has been chair of VCA’s, then co-chair of UVCA’s, Legislative Committee for nearly two decades. He was named the 1999 VCA Chiropractor of the Year and over the years has developed a legislative action guide for DCs; spearheaded visits to the state capital, legislative initiatives, and grassroots advocacy; worked with legal and legislative counsel to develop association strategy and member tools; and helped with the Virginia C-PAC. He also served on the VCA/VSC Unification Committee that ultimately led to the coming together of those two state organizations in 2009.
- 2015 Chiropractor of the Year – Thomas J. Wetzen, DC, CCSP, Vienna, Virginia. A Life University graduate, Dr. Wetzen has been licensed in Virginia since 1997. He is President and Owner of Family & Sports Chiropractic, with offices in Falls Church and Sterling. He was the 2009 recipient of the Virginia Society of Chiropractic’s Chiropractor of the Year and served as President of that organization. After the VCA and VSC unified, Dr. Wetzen became the first openly elected President of the newly joined group. He was also instrumental in the development of the East Coast Associations’ Independent Providers’ Network.
San Diego, CA—September 29th, 2015—ChiroTouch™, the nation’s leader in chiropractic software, is pleased to offer “The Experience,” its second ever User Conference, which will be held on November 6th and 7th, 2015, in Phoenix, AZ.
- Lacy Alexander, PhD, Penn State University, State College, PA, USA
- Lars L. Andersen, PhD, National Research Centre for Working Environment, Copenhagen, Denmark
- David Behm, PhD, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada
- Barton N. Bishop, DPT, SCS, CKTI, TPI CGFI-MP2, CSCS, Sport & Spine Rehab, Washington, DC, USA
- Tony Brosky, PT, DHS, SCS, Bellarmine University, Louisville, KY, USA
- Duane Button, PhD, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. Johns, Newfoundland, Canada
- Juan Carlos Colado, PhD, University of Valencia, Valencia, Spain
- Jeff Forman, PhD, BCTMB, Professor Emeritus, De Anza College, Cupertino, CA, USA
- Jay Greenstein, DC, Sport & Spine Rehab, Fort Washington, MD, USA
- Barbara Hoogenboom, EdD, PT, SCS, ATC, Grand Valley State University, Allendale, MI, USA
- Andre Labbe, PT, Owner, Total Package Performance, LLC, New Orleans, LA, USA
- Michael Rogers, PhD, CSCS, FACSM, Wichita State University, Wichita, KS, USA
- Mary Sanders,PhD, FACSM, RCEP, CDE, University of Nevada, Reno, NV, USA
- Robert Topp, PhD, RN,University of San Diego, San Diego, CA, USA
- Timothy Tyler, MS, PT, ATC, PRO Sports Physical Therapy, Scarsdale, NY, USA
- Michael Voight, PT, DHSc, OCS, SCS, ATC, CSCS, TP1-3, FAPTA, Belmont University School of Physical Therapy, Nashville, TN, USA
- Leo Y.L. Wang, PT, MPH, PhD, Department of Rehabilitation Medicine of First Affiliated Hospital of Sun Yat-sen University, Guangzhou, China
Flowood, Mississippi—September 1, 2015 — This weekend at The National Convention and Expo, ChiroHealthUSA announced The Foxworth Family Scholarship in honor of President Dr. Ray Foxworth’s parents, Drs. Betty Pace Mathews and Charles Vernon Mathews. ChiroHealthUSA will award $10,000 to one chiropractic student each year and an additional $10,000 donation to the winning student’s chiropractic college.
Dr. Betty Pace Mathews worked as a CA for a local chiropractor before she was accepted into Chiropractic College. She worked as a vet tech by day and attended chiropractic school at night with an 8-year old Ray Foxworth sitting beside her. After graduation, she opened her practice in a small town in a state where chiropractic was not insured or even licensed yet.
Dr. Betty Mathews was clearly an inspiration, but the desire to learn and the unwavering support of his father, Dr. Charles Mathews, has had a lasting impact on his son, too. In fact, when Dr. Foxworth graduated from Chiropractic College in 1985 and sat for the National Boards, his father was right beside him taking and passing the Boards despite not being in Chiropractic College for many years.
As a second-generation chiropractor, Dr. Foxworth did not originally plan to follow in his parent’s footsteps. Attending a state chiropractic convention in 1980, he heard his now long-time friend Dr. Sig Miller speak and it changed the course of his life. He packed up his young family, headed to Cleveland Chiropractic College, and never looked back. Over the next 30 years, he would be appointed by two governors to serve 12 years as the first chiropractor on the Mississippi State Board of Health, two of those years as chairman. He was given the opportunity to start the first chiropractic program in a Mississippi VA hospital and later became the founder and president of ChiroHealthUSA.
“It is important for me to give back to a profession that has meant so much to me and my family, not only as tribute to my parents, but as an opportunity for chiropractic students to follow in their footsteps,” Foxworth said.
Students may begin submitting applications immediately. The deadline for submissions is February 29, 2016. Winner notifications will go out on or before June 1, 2016, and the winner will be announced during The National Convention in Orlando in August of 2016. Learn more at www.chusascholar.com.
“We all belong to chiropractic,” said Foxworth, “and we all need to help, invest, and support the advancement of our profession.”
Founded in 2007, ChiroHealthUSA is a simple, compliant and profitable way for chiropractors to offer affordable care to their patients.